WHO WE ARE
The Democratic Party is the oldest political party in the United States and among the oldest political parties in the world. It traces its roots to 1792, and the followers of Thomas Jefferson and James Madison. The party was established as the Democratic Party in 1828 by supporters of Andrew Jackson, one of whom was Benjamin Jones, who served as a Wayne County Commissioner, state representative and senator, and who sponsored the first of our annual Democratic dinners to support Jackson's campaign in this county.
The Mission of the Wayne County Democratic Party is to recruit, nominate, support and elect qualified Democratic candidates to public office. To that end, the WCDP is committed to public and governmental policies that encourage, promote and advance the shared values, principles and traditions of our Party.
- Individual, political, economic and religious freedom.
- Fairness, equal opportunity and equal protection under law for all citizens.
- Mutual respect, tolerance and respect for the diversity for all citizens, families, and communities.
- Openness, competence, fiscal responsibility, integrity and ethical conduct in government.
- Protection of and the responsible use of our environment and community resources.
- A decent quality of life for all citizens and families.
The Wayne County Democratic Party shall be open to all who desire to support the Party and who wish to be known as Democrats.
Discrimination in the conduct of Democratic Party affairs on the basis of sex, race, age (if of voting age), color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnic identity or physical disability is prohibited, to the end that the Democratic Party at all levels be an open party.